Reading Age 8-9
Interest Age 12-15
Word Count 4,500-7,000
Badger’s Teen Reads collection - now numbering 36 in total - has proved very popular with both teachers and students in secondary schools. With a reading age of around nine these hi-lo books are perfect for struggling teenage readers who are ready to move on to longer books, but would be intimidated by full length novels.
Hi-Lo Books for Teenage Reluctant Readers
The series features male and female characters, plus a wide range of ethnicity to ensure all readers feel engaged in the stories. Titles cover ghost, horror and adventure stories, plus stories about family breakdown, school conflict and romance. There’s everything from an internet troll, who turns out to be a real troll, to a dystopian future where a 13-year-old Mad Max saves Birmingham from a deadly plague!
- Dyslexia-friendly design with bite-sized chunks of text with line spacing
- Off-white paper to reduce visual stress on sensitive eyes
- Mature themes to appeal to teenagers
- Look and feel of a ‘real’ book
- Modern and appealing covers
- Written by experts in developing stories for struggling readers